Personal development encompasses the growth of learners beyond the academic, technical, and vocational. Embedded across our curriculum, it is the provision of:
- opportunities that enable pupils to discover their interests and talents
- experiences that support learners to develop their characters, including their resilience, confidence and independence
- the skills and knowledge that help pupils to keep physically and mentally healthy
- the development and deepening of pupils’ understanding of British Values and spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) education
- an effective careers & transition programme so that pupils are equipped to make the transition to life beyond Linden Lodge successfully
How do we implement this at Linden Lodge?
We have a pupil-centred focus on the definition of personal development. Development is highly individualised, supported by a transdisciplinary team, and guided by the Family Partnership Model.
Check back soon for a virtual flip-book of Personal Development in each department.
Engagement Profiles are used to assess pupil engagement, identify needed interventions, and create learning plans to increase and enhance pupil engagement in a variety of ways.
Personalised Learning Goals
Holistic Personalised Learning Goals which encompass the whole child’s development are identified and drawn upon to map out individualised learning pathways.
Read these testimonials from ex-Linden Lodge pupils for a first-hand account.
Recognition of Outstanding Practice
Given our proven excellent practice in this field, Linden Lodge is considered a thought leader in personal development and mental health for SEND pupils, and as such we are regularly asked to present at local and national conferences and training events.
How do we measure the impact of our personal development provision at Linden Lodge?
- Pupil’s voices are captured through surveys, careful advocacy, and opportunities to join various committees, including Student Council and the Pride Youth Network.
- Family’s and carer’s voices are captured through surveys, daily communication with teachers, invitations to open discussion forums, and insights from C@LL.
- Staff member’s voices are captured through surveys, daily briefings, weekly meetings, weekly wellbeing check-ins with line managers, and opportunities to join various staff committees.
- Gridmaker is a tracking and reporting system that captures our ongoing personal development provision across the whole school. Check out our live tracking and reporting system here.
- Celebrations of personal development are published in our weekly school newsletter.